Happy New Year! Welcome back to Isla Kulinarya. In the last couple of weeks, we have been featuring the recipes of the 6 finalists to Kulinarya : A Filipino Culinary Showdown held at the Metreon in San Francisco last December 4, 2010. Organized by the Philippine Consulate General in San Francisco along with the various government agencies, namely, the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Tourism, Department of Trade and Industry, and the Philippine National Police with the goal of increasing the awareness and appreciation of Northern California residents on Filipino cuisine.
This week , we are featuring the recipe of Clemente Escopete, one of the 3 finalists at the Amateur Division. The featured recipe was the dish that he prepared at the preliminary round of the competition which was held last August 2010 at the Metreon.
|Photo by Jun Belen taken from the Kulinarya blogsite|
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 medium onion
3 medium ripe tomatoes
3 medium potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 bay leaves
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
vegetable oil for deep frying
4-5 cups stock or water
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 of lemon juice
1/2 cup green olives
1/2 cup button mushroom
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2. Saute garlic, onion, tomatoes in olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Add the cubed beef, beef stock or water, tomato paste and lemon juice and bay leaves. Stir well, cover the pan with tight -fitting lid.
4. Lower the heat and cook slowly until beef is tender. Stir occasionally.
5. When beef is tender, add potatoes and olives.
6. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender, add button mushrooms and red and green peppers. Mix well.
7. Cook for another 2 minutes. You can expect about 2 cups of sauce or gravy.
Join us again next week as we share with you the recipe of Aileen Suzara, one of the finalists at the Amateur Division.
Isla Kulinarya lets you explore the islands, taste the food, relive the memories -- all made possible by Island Pacific Supermarket. Go and visit an Island Pacifc near you with branches in Southern California located at Cerritos, Canoga Park, North and South Vermont in Los Angeles, Panorama City and West Covina; Union City and Vallejo in Northern California.Check out our website at www.islandpacificmarket.com. Stay connected with us-- find us on Facebook @island pacific market, follow us on Twitter @islandpacificUS and Blogger @island pacific market. For your comments, suggestions and request for recipes that you want us to feature, please email email@example.com. Presyong Sulit... sa Island Pacific.